10 Important Things Event Managers Do
Are you an administrator by temperament? Do you love to plan, organize and manage small and big events for your community? Are you a people’s person? Are you an out of the box thinker? Are you not bogged down by constant travel? Then event management could be a fun and earn profession for you.
With the rapid rise in number of events across sectors and industry, it has been estimated that the demand for Event Managers will rise by 30 % in the next decade.
Kinds of Events You will Manage
Personal, professional and community life today is full of various kinds of events. You will be working towards the successful implementation of corporate, non-profit, community, Government and social events.
Below is a list of some of the most common ones.
- Family Functions
- Birthday Parties
- Wedding Receptions
- Baby Showers
- Corporate Events
- Special Events
- Television Events and Reality Shows
- Sports Events and Marketing
- International Events and Concerts
- Celebrity and Artist Management
- Fashion Shows
- Product Launches
- Road Shows
Responsibilities and Duties of an Event Manager
Event Management is a field with not a dull moment. Your roles and responsibilities will not be restricted to the official designation and job description. You will be doing anything and everything that goes into the successful execution of an event. Most of the time you will work behind the scene but the grand success of your events will bring you name and create a demand for you.
- Meet the client and determine the purpose of the event
- Advice the client on appropriate services and effective venders for catering, DJ and decoration etc
- After developing a clear goal, you will meet venders, organizers and other specialists to develop an agenda.
- Strong understanding of already available resources is key to effective procurement and optimal use.
- Selection and supervising support staff will be a crucial role.
Working for a particular venue you will act as a liaison between the individual or organization hosting the event and the in house organizers.
- Event logistics would also be part of your planning.
- Getting necessary permits, permission and insurance is another among the basket of tasks at hand.
- Develop marketing, brand building and communication strategy
- Attend the event in order to see that everything falls in place
The roles, responsibilities and duties will vary depending on whether you are working for a vender or are an independent contractor. In case the event involves certain third-party providers of goods and services you would need great coordination and negotiation skills
Roles of an Event Manager
After going through the above list of some of the obvious responsibilities of an Event Manager, you would categorize these into the below broad roles.
- Project director
- Art director
- Project evaluator
- Facility expert
- PR Executive
- Sales Manager
- Program Administrator
- Team leader
You may say that this industry needs you to be a multi-tasker, a jack of all traits. This is true. And the premier institute, team.i – The Entertainment and Media Institute Bangalore will guide and train you to reach the top. Its programs are specially designed keeping in mind industry needs. Experts from the industry make valuable contribution towards practical training, networking and placements. You could look at www.teami.org